This note contains information about the requirement for visas for entry into the Kenyan territory for participants during the UNCTAD 14 Ministerial Conference. All participants must be in possession of a passport that is valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of entry into the Kenyan territory, with sufficient pages for visa stamps. Detailed visa requirements are provided in Annex I and Annex II.
Participants required to be in possession of a visa are advised to obtain one as early as possible. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of the Republic of Kenya has advised its Diplomatic and Consular representations to facilitate the visa application process to delegates coming for the conference. NB: This will only happen upon submission of accreditation confirmation from the UCTAD secretariat in Geneva.
The Visa fee Waiver Program: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) have signed an agreement with the Government of Kenya to waive visas fees to 194 members of UNCTAD coming to UNCTAD 14 Ministerial Conference.
Visa on Arrival (VoA) is issued on arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Nairobi. Nationals from 194 Members and Observers are eligible for Visa on Arrival (VoA) not exceeding 3 months. Visa on Arrival (VoA) cannot be converted to other types of visas. However, this type of visa can be extended for another period of three months to make an aggregate of six months and can be obtained at the nearest Immigration office in Kenya. Although the Kenyan authorities will make all the necessary arrangements to facilitate the obtainment of a Visa on Arrival (VoA), we strongly recommend participants to obtain a valid visa before departure.
Visit Visa for Journalists will be issued to registered foreign journalists/reporters entering Kenya for media coverage of the Tenth Ministerial Conference. This visa can be obtained at the Kenyan Embassies or Consular Missions accredited in the participant’s respective country or in the nearest country if no Kenyan representation exists in the participant’s country.
Referred category. These are Participants from Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Cameroon, Iraq, Lebanese Republic, Libya, Mali, Senegal, Syrian Arab Republic and Tajikistan are required to apply for a visa at the Kenyan Embassies or Consular Missions accredited in the participant’s respective country or in the nearest country. If no Kenyan representation exists in the participants' country or in a nearby country, Delegates/Participants are required to contact the UNCTAD focal point on visas at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
The list of Embassies, Consulates General and Consulates of the Republic of Kenya and their addresses are available at: http://www.mfa.go.ke and http://www.immigration.go.ke or e mail email@example.com It is recommended that participants apply for their visas directly at the Kenyan Embassy, Consulate General or Consulate accredited to their countries. Visas will also be issued from the Kenyan Mission in Geneva.
If there is no Kenyan Embassy representation abroad participants will need to apply for a visa at the nearest Kenyan representation in their country of residence.
For more information regarding visa application procedures and any changes to entry requirements, please visit the website of the Kenyan Immigration Department at the http://www.immigration.go.ke or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Besides contacting Kenyan representations abroad, participants may also visit: http://www.immigration.go.ke for information concerning consular and visa services.
Deadline for Visa Applications
It is recommended that visa applications be submitted to the competent Kenyan authorities at least one month before the date of departure. In case a special authorization is required, the visa application should be submitted earlier.
Visa applications will be processed once all required documents are completed.
Visa Requirements Documents
- Complete visa application form 22( for visa processing via Kenyan’s Diplomatic and Consular Representations abroad or applying for visa on arrival)
- Invitation letters from the host either individual or organization/company and in this case MFA is the local host.
- Accreditation confirmation from the UNCTAD secretariat in Geneva.
- Applicant’s passport.
- Passport validity should be at least six months.
Online Visa Application
- As from 1st July 2015, e-visa program was rolled out and now holder of category 2 countries could now apply visa on online. However, we strongly advise all the delegates not to apply visa on this portal because the system will automatically charge them 51 USD. We therefore recommend them to apply manually.
- All delegates are informed that visa payment has been waved in regards to UNCTAD and Kenya agreement which was made in the year 1976. We therefore request all them not to apply visa on this portal because the system will automatically charge them 51 USD.
- Holders of Diplomatic and service passport who requires a visa are advised to apply online visa on gratis. To facilitate the visa, applicants should scan and attach biodata page of their passport and passport –style photo not exceeding 500 pixels by 500 pixels and letter of invitation and
- To use e-visa service, applicants must register and create an e-citizen profile .The profile require an email address, creating a password and uploading passports copy and photo in the website. The applicant must possess a travel document that should be valid for at least six months from the date of entry, a return ticket and at least one blank page on the passport.
Online visa application is currently running concurrently with manual visa application.
WAIVER OF VISA FEES FOR ALL CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES.
The Government of Kenya has waived visa fees for all children aged 16 years and below who are accompanying their parents to Kenya. This was with effect from 1st February 2016. This is basically was to promote family tourism in Kenya.
Enquiries on Visa Matters
For enquiries about any visa-related matters, please contact:
The Director of Immigration Services
Department of Immigration Services
Nyayo House, 9th Floor, Southern Wing
P. O. Box 30191-00100
Fax No.: +254 20 2220731
Tel: +254 20 2222022 Ext.22215