Ladies and Gentlemen
Members of the Press
- At the onset, I want to express my gratitude to all delegations attending the conference for the way they are carrying out the deliberations in this UNCTAD 14 Conference.
- Yesterday marked a fruitful day in our discussions with the key highlight being the convening of the World Leaders Summit and Heads of Agency Roundtable. A session that was attended by various dignitaries led H.E President Uhuru Kenyatta.
- In addition, the World Investment Forum (WIF) kicked of yesterday and event that followed by the investment promotion awards. This year’s World Investment Forum is the first major international meeting on financing the SDGs following the UN Summit on the post-2015 development agenda and the COP21 meeting on climate change.
- Building on the outcome of the Third International Conference on Finance for Development, the 2016 WIF seeks to tackle the future financing challenges facing the implementation of the SDGs. It will convenes State, business and thought leaders, who will share the latest thinking and options for financing the SDGs. Particular emphasis will be given to corporate perspectives on the role of private sector finance and initiatives for achieving the agreed Goals.
- The forum will directly influence the debate on investment for sustainable development in the international community, and will offer a vision to national governments, financial institutions and the business community on how to direct investment towards key SDG sectors.
- The WIF is therefore critical as we look at scaling up investments in the SDG sectors as well as facilitating investments in structurally weak and vulnerable groups while at the same time looking at ways of looking for solutions to achieve environmental sustainability
- As I conclude, I want to mention that today, special sessions will be running throughout the day. One key session I want to highlight is the High Level Event on transforming economies for sustainable and inclusive growth which took place this morning as well as the session on lowering hurdles for trade which deliberated on issues relating to trade facilitation and regional integration which is pivotal to growth of our economics.
- We will continue to have daily briefings until the Conference ends on Friday
I thank you